Want to give your home that trendy magazine look but you're not really sure how to do it? Well, you are at the right place then because we are here to show you how to bring Lagom in your home and life - how to find inspiration in your interior and how to understand the art of Scandinavian house decor.
First things first, you have to know that Lagom is not just a style; it is a way of life for most people. The word itself means - not too little, not too much, just enough and represents the balance and moderation in all aspects of one's life not just in interior design. So if you are up for something balanced, subtle and just right then Lagom style is perfect for your home.
Start with light colors, neutral tones, choose different shades of white or gray to create cool interior while decorating it with minimal details and accessories. This concept is against cluttering, therefore, everything is kept minimalistic. When choosing the right shade of white, pick a shade such as Ivory or Linen so that all your wall decor looks striking. You can put up artworks on your walls but think about the frames, make sure they are all the same color. It would be great to use natural wood for picture frames.
Simplicity in furniture
Choose simple room designs that show tranquility, clean patterns and nothing too colorful. Make sure your sofas and chairs are in simple shapes and made of natural materials. The key is in finding a balance between the furniture, the room, and the atmosphere created in your home. Using natural materials will create harmony and emphasize the coolness of the colors on the walls and furniture as well. Don't exaggerate things - avoid filling the space with plants, instead pick one or two and put them apart from each other.
Not too many details
Fill your home with things that make you happy but keep in mind - less is more. Be careful not to over-crowd any open-concept surface, but put only a few accessories in classic shapes or with a simple clear design. Adding texture with fluffy decorative pillows in pastel pink shades can make your home feel more cosy, and at the same time help avoid that sterile and cold look that too much white colour gives.
Make a flow
In order to create the perfect, stylish Langom interior it is essential to incorporate the way that the room flows. Make things less complicated, think about the room usage and if a particular space is suitable for furniture you want to put there. Arrange your furniture in a way that it creates depth and allows movement, that way you will make a good flow and create a positive atmosphere.
For example, if you want to create a reading corner but you don't have enough room to fit a chair, a lamp, and a bookshelf then just don't do it. Find another purpose for your empty corner; don't put too many things that are unnecessary. If you want to try out this Nordic lifestyle concept but you are not sure that it is suitable for your home and therefore don't want to get rid of all your excessive belongings, consider supereasy storage. That way you can safely store your furniture and if you happen to change your mind, you can have it back. Plus you won't have to buy everything new so it is actually saving your money.
Put it all together
So, we have explained the tricks of Lagom lifestyle, now let's make an example for a small living room:
- First, think about what you want to achieve. If you want a fireplace or a reading corner think it through - don't fill the space with things at any cost!
- Paint walls in white diamond shade of white. The room will be visually bigger because white opens up the space, and this particular shade will make it warmer.
- Use white oak wood for flooring. Natural looking wood floors bring out the feeling of cosines and create good contrast to white walls.
- Add texture with a fluffy carpet, a tactile rug or cover your floors or chairs with sheepskin for more homey atmosphere. Use light colored curtains with subtle texture.
- Place your furniture more in the middle of the room to create depth and make a positive flow. Pick neutral colored pieces and don't worry, we'll add decoration so it won't look empty.
- Obviously, the next step is putting accessories. Add knit throw as a delicate detail over your sofa for extra comfort and charming look of your living room. Arrange decorative pillows, but don't put too many. Make sure they are similar in texture and different by color. For example, put one fluffy and hairy, one velvet pink pillow and one beige boho style pillow with details.
- Add white scented candles for a touch of romance and put up artworks from your favorite authors. Keep in mind that everything has to show simplicity; don't exaggerate in adding decoration or with mixing textures.
This Nordic lifestyle concept is all about simplicity. Finding a balanced and moderate look perfect for your home and making changes in your lifestyle. Surrounding yourself with things that make you happy and avoiding over complicating will bring you a life full of joy and satisfaction.